Sonia's Adventures in Dublin!

Monday, April 24, 2006

Turkey - Istanbul and Cappadocia

It is so hard to sum up my trip to Turkey in a short blurb! Turkey is one of the most culturally different places that I have travelled to. It is most definitely a mix of East and West. Kelly and I stayed with our friend Emel in Istanbul. Istanbul is a bustling city, with a beautiful skyline. It is easy to spend hours shopping in the Grand Bazaar and sampling turkish delights and tea in the Spice Bazaar. The Bosphorous is bordered by beautiful mosques and palaces making boat rides on the water beautiful.

I got to celebrate my bday in Istanbul which was a real treat. We ended a day full of site seeing in the old city at the Hamam (Turkish Bath). Imagine being stark naked and being rubbed down by a 300 pound Turkish woman on a slate of marble...quite an experience! At night Kelly, Emel, Dilek and I went to a night club known for its food, drinks, and drag queens!

Kelly and I spent the second half of our trip in Cappadocia. Istanbul and Cappadocia are two completely different places. Cappadocia is full of volcanic formations and valleys. We hiked through different valleys, visited the Fairy Chimneys, underground cities, and cave churches. Interestingly, people were still living in caves up until the 1980s. We stayed in a Cave Hotel to get the true experience!

I never got sick of the apple tea or nargile (hookah)! There is so much more to see in Turkey, I feel like I only got a sneak peak - enough to tempt me for more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home